Baking without MILK
Following traditional baking recipes can be tricky when maneuvering around milk and peanut allergies. When substituting almond milk for cows milk there is often some recipe revamping that needs to occur. This SosiSafe muffin recipe takes into consideration the natural sweetness of the almond milk and balances this with very little sugar and some organic, unsweetened apple sauce. These low-sugar, high flavour blueberry powerhouses are absolutely a fan favourite at our house!
SosiSafe Blueberry Muffins
Blueberry muffins that taste delicious without a ton of added sugar! Peanut free, no dairy, and eat clean these muffins are great for a breakfast OR an on the go or snack!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (organic if possible)
- 1/4 cup white sugar (optional), we prefer honey
- 1/4 cup quick cooking rolled oats (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp table salt
- 2 large eggs (OR 1/4 cup mashed banana OR 1/4 soy or coconut yogurt)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (we prefer silk as it is part of the NON-GMO project)
- 1 cup organic blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (to grease the muffin tray)
Take the muffin tin and put it on top of the oven. I like to take the coconut oil and place it into one of the pockets allowing it to melt while I get the rest of the recipe together.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix with whisk or a good old fashioned fork.
Slowly mix in the other ingredients, adding the blueberries last.
Grease each pocket individually with the melted coconut oil.
Fill each pocket 3/4 full. These muffins do not puff up too high because I do not like to add in more baking powder or baking soda than necessary.
Bake for 35-45 minutes. I usually just do the ‘ole toothpick tester. If you can poke in a toothpick and it comes out relatively clean, you are good to go.
Allow these scrumptious muffins to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing them.
Enjoy your peanut free and milk free muffins!
Don’t love blueberries? You can easily sub them out for another fruit of your choice! We also love raisins.
*One of these muffins is only 5 SmartPoints (with blueberries).