Want to take your pasta salad potluck game to a new level? Then you need to start adding dill pickles. It’s a game changer. Your potluck dish will be the one coming home empty this summer!
Seriously though, where has this combination been my whole life?? I have always had a love of dill, since it is basically mandatory as part of my mom’s side of the family. We used to bring my aunt a GIANT container of Heinz Dill Pickles when we would visit her out east. I’m talking check-it through as special luggage on the plane and everything, because, well, an amazing Heinz pickle is worth the work, and so is this salad!
Amazing Dill Pickle Pasta Salad Recipe
Prep time : 20 minutes (could be less if you hustle)
Serves: 10-12 side salad servings
- 2 cups of dill pickles (quartered length wise, then chopped)
- 1 box of macaroni (we like Healthy Harvest)
- 1 small onion (or a few green onions) chopped
- Dairy free cheese (optional)
- 1 cup of dairy free mayonnaise
- 1 cup of pickle juice
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- FRESH dill (3 tablespoons chopped up)
Easy Peasy Prep:
- Cook the box of macaroni pasta, rinse very well with cold water and set aside to cool. Cook for the minimum recommendation on the side of the box (usually about 5 minutes).
- In a small container, mix together the sauce ingredients.
- Chop up the onions and pickles.
- Once the pasta has fully cooled, add in the chopped ingredients.
- Give everything a solid stir (or shake if you have a container with a lid).
- Add HALF of the sauce and stir / shake again. I reserve half of the sauce to put on about 10 minutes before I am going to serve the salad.
The smell of freshly chopped dill takes me back to our little house growing up. Each August my mom and Grandma would spend hours scrubbing “cukes” and sterilizing jars for the pickling process. As long as I can remember we would get the little cucumbers from my moms farmer friend and the process would begin. Nothing beats a homemade pickle! I’m going to have to add this to my to-do list this summer.