Have you ever thought to use the peel of a banana on your skin? No? Well, apparently doing this can help reduce the swelling, itching, and irritation that comes from a pesky mosquito bite. So not only is the inside of a banana helpful, but also the outside!*
So now we know that bananas can reduce mosquito bite irritations for our skin but why include them in a smoothie? It is important to start the day with healthy carbohydrates, protein, and delicious flavour combinations. Bananas are a good source of Vitamin C, B6 (important for healthy brain development), and fiber. We really like to make smoothies because: (1) our toddler gets fruits and veggies, (2) we start our day with calcium, protein, and vitamins, and (3) this habit seems to set up the day for successful healthy eating patterns.
Did you know that spinach belongs to the same family as beets and chard and that there are three main types of spinach?* For this recipe we use the smooth variety and we try to get fresh and organic whenever possible since it is on the dirty dozen list. It is high in Vitamin K and fibre (which helps to keep everything running regular). Ever wonder how much fibre your child needs? Here is a quick link to check it out.
We make a large smoothie and we share this favourite strawberry banana combo in the morning. If it is too much, we toss it in a Paw Patrol cup and keep it in the fridge until snack (which is usually ten minutes after breakfast)!
Behaviour Balancing Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 cup vanilla or plain almond milk
- 1 cup organic spinach (fresh if possible)
- 1 large ripe organic banana
- 1 cup organic strawberries (fresh or frozen) IF we use fresh I add in an ice cube to keep it cold
- 1 tablespoon of local honey, IF your little one if over 1 year of age. Did you know consuming local honey can help to reduce seasonal allergies?
- Remove the ends off of the spinach and wash well.
- Blend the spinach and almond milk together first, this helps the spinach become less “chunky” for drinking.
- Add in the rest of the fruit and honey.
- Blend until a smooth consistency (usually between 30 seconds and 1 minute). We use the Hamilton Beach single smoothie for this size of smoothie since it seems to whiz up even frozen pieces of fruit in under one minute.
- Serve and enjoy your peanut free, eat clean, no dairy smoothie!
*101 Foods that Could Save Your Life by David Grotto, RD, LDN.