This coloured rice recipe is so easy to make and fun for you and your kidlets!
We were over playing at our friends house this past weekend and this super mom had a very brightly coloured rice sensory bin! I thought it would be a fun idea to try during these rainy days. Let me tell you, my kids loved it! It was definitely a messy activity but the EzPz mat with it’s edge helped keep some on the table, and I mean some – ha!
Our post contains affiliate links for the EzPz mat, if you click it and purchase, I receive a % of the purchase, it does not increase the price for you. Thank you!
Homemade Coloured Rice
This easy to make coloured rice recipe is great for fine-motor skill development. Note: Make sure to supervise children at all times as the rice is for sure a possible choking hazard.
- 2 cups of rice
- 10 drops of food colouring per 1/2 cup of rice
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar per 1/2 cup rice cup
- Step 1 Separate 1/2 cup of rice into plastic baggies OR another container with a tight-locking lid.
- Step 2 Add 10 drops of food colouring along with the vinegar into each ziploc or plastic container.
- Step 3 Stir or mix until the rice has absorbed the colours.
- Step 4 Have fun!
I thought it would be fun to combine the coloured rice with our play-dough recipe! I also added in some word-work (because I like to squeeze in literacy as often as I can). Overall, these activities were a hit and I highly recommend them!
Thanks to J for her super fun idea!
If you want more ideas or some toddler recipes check out our FB group here!